Monday, September 20, 2010

Confidence during Meeting

This post is not related to any book review but I thought of sharing my experience of conducting yourself in a meeting and to gain others confidence.

Very often, especially meeting new people in a new job, you may have more difficulties in convincing new client that you are the best person for the job, especially if you look young. And that is what happens to me. You see, I myself is quite young to begin with and coupled with the fact that I am rather boyish looking, I often need to do a lot of preparatory works in order to convince the project team that my advice is for the best of the project.

In today's meeting with a world-renowned Architect, I realised the importance of speaking with confidence and to articulate your opinions to demonstrate that you have done your homework. I have realised that experienced people can usually sense uncertainties and they will pounce on that uncertainties (or fear) just like a hungry lion on an injured prey. Therefore, it is important to learn proper skills of communications, body language and of course, don't feel intimidated by someone's whose reputation and seniority exceed yours. If you know your job, then make your case confidently.

So, therefore, be confident and carry yourself with charisma and soon, they will know that you are the best.

Coming, I hope to complete my reading of the book by Stephen Bayley & Roger Mavity titled Life's a Pitch: How to sell yourself and your brilliant ideas. It should be relevant to all of you aspiring CEOs who at the moment may lack a bit of confidence speaking in front of a crowd or to a potential new client.

No comments:

Post a Comment